Typically once I’ve decided to do something , I couldn’t wait.  So I got stuck into dismantling this old archway last week & now have a view from the house out across the garden.
This took four whole days to remove & clear all the debris. With deeply planted wooden posts, a metal frame & steel rods attaching the two,all of course knitted together & gripped by ivy roots, it was not as straight forward as first thought.

I think you’ll agree though, it was well worth the effort……

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I’ve taken the above photo with the fisheye lens because it is the widest angle lens.

As you can see, I also stripped ivy off the stones in the centre of lawn surrounding the Rhododendrons & will now be able to enjoy the lovely Camellia Sasanqua which starts to flower next month which will continue until January !

Plus all the autumn colour of the Sumach trees will be more visible from inside the house.

 

Before

Before

Fortunately I have all the tools need for the job.

Work in progress.


Work in progress.

I was originally going to take down the Italian cypress on the right,but once all the ivy & lover dead branches had been removed I rather like the elegance of the bare trunk, so it has been reprieved.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

As you can see,the bee man has still not taken his ladder away, I don’t think he knows how to capture the bees in the roof .

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Finished !
Of course one job always leads to another & now I can see the far trees more clearly, I’m eying the ugly palm in the top lefthand corner of first photo, I did have one removed earlier in the year,but I shall just take the ivy & dead leaves off this one.